What is the U-Pass?
The U-Pass is your all-access transit pass while at NAIT!
The U-Pass offers you unlimited access to transit services in the following cities:
Edmonton (including the LRT):
The U-Pass is a mandatory fee for all students enrolled in a credit course at NAIT that starts before Sept 30, 2016 in the Fall term and Jan 27, 2017 in the Winter term with the following exceptions:
- Students who take all of their classes 100% online (Note: this means there is no on-campus component, including exams and presentations)
All qualified students are automatically charged a U-Pass fee for the Fall & Winter terms.
How much does the U-Pass cost?
For the 2016-17 school year, the U-Pass will cost $170.00 for the Fall term and $170.00 for the Winter term. The U-Pass offers significant savings for students who take transit, as the cost of a post secondary bus pass for 2016-17 would total $324.00 per term. The U-Pass fee is charged alongside your tuition, so you pay for it when you pay your NAIT account balance.
U-Pass is NOT offered during the SPRING or SUMMER semesters.
How do I get my U-Pass?
The U-Pass is a sticker placed on your valid student ID at the beginning of each term (for up to date information on the ID card, please visit www.nait.ca/idcard). Once you have a valid student ID, the U-Pass can be obtained at the South Lobby Kiosk at the start of each term and at the NAITSA office (E-131) thereafter.
- December 5 – 15 and January 3 – 13 – South Lobby Kiosk
Monday – Thursday 8:30am – 6:00pm | Friday 8:30am – 4:00pm
U-Passes can only be given to the owner of the ID card in question. Under no circumstances can we issue a U-Pass to a student on another student’s behalf.
If you are a sponsored student and you pick up your U-Pass and then drop your courses, you will still need to pay the U-Pass fee.
What if I lose my NAIT ID card with my U-Pass?
1) To replace your ID card, you must pay a $10 replacement fee at the library (U310) and the staff there will print you a new card.
For the most up-to-date information on the Student ID card, please visit www.nait.ca/idcard.
2) Bring your new ID card to NAITSA Room E-131
3) The U-Pass replacement fee may be pro-rated for each month. Please check back at a later date for prices regarding pro-rating
Please Note: It is a chargeable offence to sell or give your U-Pass sticker away.
Which students may request a fee exemption from U-Pass?
- Students with a valid staff card from Edmonton Transit, Strathcona County Transit or St. Albert Transit
DATS / SCAT / HANDIBUS
- Students who have a valid DATS/SCAT or St. Albert Handibus registration card. However, ETS will accept the U-Pass on DATS, therefore you may wish to keep the pass in that case.
- Students who are double enrolled at NAIT and another U-Pass partner school (Univeristy of Alberta, Grant MacEwan University, and NorQuest College)
- Please Note: To request exemption as a double enrolled student you must present a receipt to show you purchased a U-Pass through one of the other schools.
Bring your valid NAIT student ID card and valid identification card from one of the above stakeholders to the NAITSA Service Center in the NAITSA office (E-131) before the deadline. This procedure must be repeated each semester.
- Students must be enrolled in a credit class that starts before the deadline for that term
- Fall term deadline – Friday, September 30, 2016
Students on practicum 8 weeks or longer between Sept 1, 2016 to Dec 31, 2016 AND are placed outside the service area of Edmonton, Strathcona County, St. Albert may be eligible for an exemption to their U-Pass fee.
- Students must submit their application online for the Winter term before Friday, September 30, 2016 at 4pm.
- Each Fall and Winter term is treated as separate and a separate application must be submitted for each term of eligibility
- Eligibility is assessed to correspond with the dates that appear on the U-Pass sticker
- Please visit http://naitsa.ca/upass-exemption-application/ for more information.
What if I reside outside the service area?
Unfortunately, even if you reside outside of the U-Pass service area, the U-Pass is still a mandatory fee if you are taking credit courses at NAIT. NAITSA is constantly working to improve the service are and make sure that all students can benefit from the U-Pass, regardless of where they live. That is why as of January 1 2017, NAITSA is proud to announce that the U-Pass will be valid on Fort Saskatchewan, Leduc, and Spruce Grove transit systems.
Transit Service and LRT
Transit service levels to NAIT continue to be a concern, especially at the Souch and Patricia campuses. NAITSA will continue to press the City of Edmonton for greater transit funding and better service to NAIT campuses.