Student Volunteer Opportunity for the 2020/21 Academic Year!
The NAIT Students’ Association (NAITSA) is currently seeking three (3), Student Representatives, to be part of the NAIT Academic Council. This is an exciting opportunity for students who are looking to get involved in a high-level capacity in the administration of NAIT’s academic direction. If you would appreciate this opportunity to give valid and informed feedback about the programs offered at NAIT, please read on!
Student appointees to NAIT’s Academic Council must have the following qualities:
- Enrolled as a student in good standing for the entire (Fall & Winter) 2020/21 academic year;
- Friendly and outgoing
- Leadership experience is a definite asset
- Must be available to attend scheduled meetings
This volunteer placement will commence in September 2020. Members are required to attend about five (5) meetings which are typically held on Monday afternoons between 2pm to 4pm. Student appointees will be provided with training at the first Academic Council meeting.
This is a volunteer opportunity, but it comes with some intangible benefits that you may find to be extremely valuable to your future and professional growth:
- You will acquire leadership experience in this role, by working with a team of people who are addressing Academic Policy related to student admissions, courses and programs, academic awards, and other academic matters.
- You will receive co-curricular credit for the experience which will appear on your non-academic transcript.
- You will feel a strong sense of engagement in the inner workings of your institution and learn a lot about how NAIT functions academically and how boards conduct their business.
Role of Academic Council
NAIT’s Academic Council makes recommendations to the Board of Governors about academic policy related to student admissions, courses and programs, academic awards, and other academic matters. Committees of Academic Council include the Honorary Degree Committee, the Instructional Excellence Award Committee, the Faculty Emeritus Committee and the Campus Community Committee.
The primary role of Academic Council is to inform academic decisions and make recommendations to the NAIT Board of Governors. These decisions fall into three categories:
- Any matter that the Board refers to Academic Council
- Academic policy relating to the selection and admission of students, courses/programs of study, and academic awards
- Any other matter Academic Council considers advisable within its mandate
How to Apply
If you are interested in being part of an amazing team of students (including the NAITSA Executive Council) to represent the needs of your fellow students, please submit a copy of your resume and complete the NAITSA application.
Our goal is to form a team of students from a diverse cross-section of the campus to best represent the student body on Academic Council. While we appreciate every applicant who shows interest in this opportunity, only those considered for the position will be contacted. You can expect to receive an email once your application has been received.
Applications will be accepted until suitable candidates are found.