Are you someone looking for a place to push past your comfort zone, create community and explore storytelling in the exciting world of news media? The NAIT Nugget may be the place for you!
We are looking for an Assistant Entertainment Editor who is passionate about campus life and events to engage the student body. The Nugget isn’t just a newspaper anymore. Print media as we know it is effectively dying, however, as the next generation we have a chance to revitalize and redefine what future media looks like, both in print and online.
NOTE: DUE TO COVID-19, WE ARE 100% ONLINE RIGHT NOW.
If you are creative, love writing, and are interested in being an influencer of the student voice, please apply. The job can be challenging at times, but it is more than worth it!
Reporting to the Section Editor (Issues, Sports or Entertainment), this position has the following overall responsibilities:
- Tracking Down Stories – Finding interesting stories to feature in the school newspaper and online.
- Helping out Around the Office – Supporting lead editors where needed.
- Supporting Contributors – Assigning contributors to articles and supporting them during the writing process.
- Sharing Your Experience – Sharing what we do with students that may like to contribute.
NAITSA, as a non-profit organization, provides services, representation and leadership to students enrolled in credit and apprenticeship programs in one of Canada’s largest polytechnic institutions.
The NAIT Nugget is a student-run newspaper that started in 1964 with the purpose of delivering unique content that is not available from other media sources. Maybe you’re the person who can help us achieve that?
Qualifications / Required Skills / Considerations
If you’re interested in being a part of this team, there are several key skills and attributes you should make sure you review below before you apply:
- Applicants must be a current student enrolled at NAIT.
- Strong command of the English language is a valuable asset.
- Familiarity using popular social media platforms is vital to this role.
- Personable – As a section editor you will be interacting with a lot of people.
- Creative – Thinking outside the box is vital to creating interesting media content.
- Organized – There are lots of moving pieces to a media machine, so we need individuals that have great time management skills.
- Reliable – Consistency is important, showing up to weekly meetings is a must for this role.
- Problem Solver – Media is always shifting, seeing solutions to the unexpected is key!
- Writing – Creativity and wordsmithing experience would be a huge asset.
The Assistant Entertainment Editor is a student part-time term position (January through April 2021) and is an excellent opportunity for students to be formally involved in campus life and makes an excellent addition to a future resume. The salary for this position is $300 per month.
For more information about The NAIT Nugget please visit our website at www.thenuggetonline.com
If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply by completing this online application, and uploading PDF versions of your resume and cover letter addressed to: Nicole Murphy, Media Operations Manager. You can expect a confirmation email once we have received your application.
While we appreciate all applications for employment, only those applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted further.
We look forward to seeing your application!