What is Campus Activities Board?
Every year, the NAIT Students’ Association (a.k.a. NAITSA) hires a team of students to help plan and promote a variety of events and initiatives. Known as the Campus Activities Board, this team includes 14 students and 5 supervisors who work together to create hundreds of kick-ass events, volunteer opportunities, and club activities for NAIT students each year.
Ask any Campus Activities Board alum and they will say that this experience was the highlight of their time at NAIT. The friendships formed are long-lasting, every shift brings a lot of laughter, and members get the opportunity to enhance campus life at NAIT.
If you’re interested in being a part of this amazing group next year, there are four key areas where you will need to focus your attention:
- Visionary thinking – Help NAITSA set its direction for events in the upcoming year.
- Providing feedback – Tell NAITSA what you think about everything we do, and what you think we should do.
- Collecting data – Mingle with the student body and listen to what they have to say – what do they do for fun, what do they expect from NAITSA, and how do they like to communicate with us – and report back to the team.
- Support the team – Work together! The Campus Activities Board is only successful if every member brings their A-game. We’re looking for team players to spread positive energy and support the team.
In addition to these four areas, there are also six different positions within the Campus Activities Board: Clubs, Clubs Marketing, Digital Media, Events, Promotions, and Volunteer. Each position has different roles and responsibilities, but everyone will work together as a team to contribute to their goals.
There are two (2) Volunteer Coordinator positions available for the 2021-2022 NAIT academic year.
The Campus Activities Board – Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for implementing a series of initiatives (in person and/or virtually) under the “NAITSA Volunteers” brand that will encourage students to give back, build their personal portfolios as well as helping to connect those experiences to tangible skills learned outside the classroom. From networking with registered non-profits, to coordinating volunteers at an event, administering the volunteer path and ensuring students are recording their hours in Ookslife.ca, the role is full of opportunities for personal growth and to make a real difference for NAIT students.
Campus Activities Board Volunteer Coordinators are integral to providing students with a well-rounded campus life experience. This role has four key functions:
Networking & Relationship Building
- Increase non-profit organization partner retention by fostering relationships
- Work with partners to ensure position postings are kept up-to-date and follow up with any student inquiries to the organization
- Find and pursue leads to increase the number of partner organizations
- Build and maintain relationships with NAIT instructors and other staff on campus that require students to complete volunteer hours for their class
- Act as the point of contact for partners via phone, email and in-person
- Talk to students to learn trends in volunteering, experiences they would like to participate in
Event Planning & Coordination of Student Volunteers
- Coordinate a series of volunteer events (virtual and / or in person) that will engage students in meaningful work in the community
- Coordinate and lead volunteers when required during NAITSA projects, events and initiatives
- Prepare the student volunteers to be successful during their volunteer work through training, supervision and appreciation
- Increase awareness of the importance of volunteering
- Communicate current and upcoming opportunities both on and off campus to students via the NAITSA website
- Support partner non-profit organization initiatives by helping to recruit student volunteers
- Work to develop awareness for all ”NAITSA Volunteers” initiatives to increase awareness of the opportunities to students and staff at NAIT
- Report regularly to the Campus Activities Board about project updates, initiating marketing plans and other relevant work as needed
- Host weekly “Pop-Up” events where non-profits are on campus talking about their volunteer opportunities and Volunteer Coordinators share other upcoming opportunities
Administer the Volunteer Initiatives Program (VIP)
- Ensure student volunteer hours are tracked in Ookslife.ca
- Administer the student volunteer path
- Develop a reward system for students who are outstanding volunteers
- Maintain all records for volunteers at NAITSA events, program, etc.
- Ensure NAIT staff are recording student volunteer hours on Ookslife.ca, provide training where necessary to NAIT staff
- Answer student inquiries sent to firstname.lastname@example.org email
- Create and distribute a monthly newsletter about upcoming volunteer opportunities
- Enrolled as a NAIT student in good academic standing for the 2021-2022 academic year
- Friendly, outgoing self-starter with the ability to engage partners and students
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Microsoft Office and G-Suite proficient
- Must be able to lift and move up to 25lbs
This is a part-time term position from March 2021 through April 2022. Hours of work vary each month. There are limited summer hours, with the majority of this job’s responsibilities occurring during the academic year.
Closing Date: The posting for the 2021-2022 Campus Activities Board Volunteer Coordinator positions will be open until 8:00 a.m. on Monday, January 25, 2021.
NAITSA appreciates all applications for employment, but only those applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted. Please note, if you want to be considered for other Campus Activities Board roles, you must submit an application for each position.