Now Hiring for Chair of the NAITSA Senate
The NAIT Students’ Association is actively recruiting for the next Chair of the NAITSA Senate. The Chair leads meetings for the Senate, NAITSA’s post-secondary, student-elected governance board.
The Chair of the NAITSA Senate understands that for many Senators and Executive Council members, this is a first exposure to the formal meeting structure and, therefore, the Chair works in a leadership role to patiently guide Senators and Executive Council members in understanding the rules and adopting the meeting behaviours required.
The Chair facilitates efficient meetings and makes every effort to encourage participation by each board member. They also play an active role to help the Senate differentiate between governance and operations, particularly as it relates to the role of the Senate and holding the Executive Council accountable through effective questioning.
The Chair also develops rapport with NAITSA’s Administration Director who acts as the Senate Secretary and is the Chair’s main point of contact in dealings related to the Senate.
Duties of the Chair:
- Attend all training and meetings
- Chair online meetings of the NAITSA Senate adhering to Robert’s Rules of Order. NAITSA uses an online board platform for calendar and meeting management, and Zoom to host online meetings
- Work closely with the NAITSA Executive Director, lead Senate training sessions and provide additional training throughout the year, as requested
- Be available to consult with NAITSA Executive Council and Senators, as requested
- Be a Registered Parliamentarian
- Willing to gain an understanding of NAITSA Bylaws and other governing documents
- Knowledge and/or experience in board work at the post-secondary level
- Reliable internet access and the required bandwidth to chair online meetings from a computer (attending meetings on mobile device not permitted)
- Interpersonal Skills – You are approachable, friendly, patient, a great communicator with all types of personalities and backgrounds, able to approach difficult situations appropriately and enjoy working with students
- In-depth Knowledge of RONR – You are proficient with Robert’s Rule of Order, Newly Revised and have a solid understanding of principles of good governance
- Fun – You are comfortable in educating the Senate, teaching, and explaining concepts in RONR
- Educate – You enjoy relating historical stories as they relate to terminology used with Robert’s Rules of Order
Duration of Work
There are 2 training sessions and 10 meetings held October through April, annually. Every effort is made for these meetings to occur at 5:00 p.m. on Wednesdays. Meetings typically range anywhere from 45 minutes to 3 hours, with the average meeting time being 1.5 hours.
This is a contract position for one year and the pay is $200.00 CAD per meeting.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply by completing this online application and uploading PDF versions of your resume and cover letter.
Closing Date: This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
You can expect a confirmation email once we have received your application. We appreciate all applications for employment, however, only those applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted. We look forward to seeing your application.