We’re hiring an Interactive Media Writer (Media Intern)!
The NAIT Students’ Association (NAITSA) is a non-profit organization providing services, representation and leadership to students enrolled in credit and apprenticeship programs in one of Canada’s largest polytechnic institutions, the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT). The NAIT Nugget, part of the NAIT Students’ Association, is the official student-run media source on NAIT Campus with the main purpose to deliver unique content that is not available from other media sources.
We are seeking an Interactive Media Writer (Media Intern) for an eight-week placement at the NAIT Nugget to work alongside our team of amazing news media gurus! At the NAIT Nugget, we provide a unique work experience where we are able to help youth develop multimedia skills that are catered to their passions as well push them outside their comfort zone.
The Interactive Media Writer is a key player on the Nugget media team, using their creativity and passion for news media to engage with students on meaningful topics and influence conversations on campus.
The main responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Source topics, write and edit between 3 to 4 stories per week
- Interview people with diverse experiences, backgrounds and expertise
- Work closely with external partners (such as local artists and business owners) to promote services through content creation
- Produce a weekly podcast
- Guide other students in developing Nugget radio ads
- Lead weekly meetings (virtual and/or in-person when restrictions allow) for student writers
- Create social media posts and share them online
- Create or assist in the development of video assets
- Develop marketing and communication strategies
Qualifications / Considerations / Required Skills
- Education: Post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree, or working towards completion, preferably in a related field. Equivalent work experience may be considered, but experience participating in a post-secondary environment is a huge asset to working within it.
- Preference will be given to current NAIT or post-secondary students
- Strong command of the English language is a valuable asset
Who We’re Looking For
If you’re interested in being a part of this team, there are several key skills and attributes you should make sure you review before you apply:
- Self-motivated – Help us be better online; we need someone who is able to see what The NAIT Nugget is missing and fill in the gaps.
- Creative – Be willing and open to trying new things; we want you to express your creativity to engage our audience in new and meaningful ways.
- Reliable – Consistency is important; there are mandatory editor meetings in order to facilitate regular communication and produce quality content.
- Detail-oriented – It is important that you can edit online posts with ease so that we have the best quality work being posted with minimal errors.
- Social media knowledge – Must have a basic understanding of social media platforms.
This position is a part of the Canada Summer Jobs Program with funding provided by Service Canada. Candidates must meet the following eligibility requirements to be considered:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number and be legally entitled to work in Canada according to relevant provincial legislation and regulations;
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or a person on whom refugee protections has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and
- International students on a work or study permit are not eligible participants. As the objective of the Canada Summer Jobs program is to support youth entering the Canadian labour market, the temporary nature of an international student’s time in Canada does not allow for a long-term connection to the labour market.
The Interactive Media Writer is a full-time temporary position with a start date of May 31, 2021 until July 23, 2021. The wage for this position is $15.00 per hour. The hours of work are 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday.
- Office Location: 11762 106 St Room O108, Edmonton, AB T5G 3H4
- Working Conditions: This position will be remote until further notice. The successful candidate must have the ability to work from home may transition to working in the NAIT Nugget office, with notice provided.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply by completing this online application and uploading PDF versions of your resume and cover letter addressed to Nicole Murphy, Media Operations Manager.
Closing Date: This position will remain open until 4:00 p.m. on May 12, 2021.
You can expect a confirmation email once we have received your application. We appreciate all applications for employment, however, only those applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted. We look forward to seeing your application!
View this Canada Summer Jobs opportunity on the Job Bank for Youth here.