Kids In Action is an after school program that runs weekly in 7 schools in northeast Edmonton. The program has 4 pillars: physical activity, character development, connection and healthy food. Program registration is open to any students in grades 1-6 in the participating 7 schools. Partner schools are identified based on an indicated need for after school programming (high social vulnerability, high immigrant population, lone parent families, neighbourhood with low income, mobility, unemployment, etc.).
1) Physical Activity: Promote and increase access to physical activity among elementary students in Edmonton.
2) Character Development: Teach students about goal setting and working towards positive goals.
3) Connection: Provide a safe and positive after school program option for elementary students in Edmonton.
4) Healthy Food: Increase access to healthy and nutritious food for elementary students in the after school hours of 3-5pm.
You will gain valuable experience working with a great variety of children, and learning from our staff. We hope all volunteers will feel the difference and impact that our programs make each and every week.
– assist with set up
– greet kids
– run with kids during training
– participate in all program activities with children
– possibility to lead games & activities
– read stories
– assist in clean up
– build positive relations with children
– assist in running an effective program
Debrief time will happen in the van on the way back to our centre.
Once a week (same day each week)
approx. shift times: 2:30-5:30pm
(Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Fridays)
– a desire to foster positive relations with children
– a willingness to help out
– Christian faith is not a requirement, but volunteers must be comfortable with our program content and not be disrespectful of what we are teaching
– a fun attitude
**an application, reference check, police information check and child welfare intervention record check are required**
We will provide you with a manual and orientation