We’re Hiring a Junior Editor!
Are you interested in learning more about journalism, editorial production, and the media industry? Do you have a passion for writing but need to improve your skills? Join the Nugget team as a Junior Editor!
As a junior editor, you’ll report to the Senior Editor and Editor-in-Chief and work in both the News and Arts sections. You’ll get the chance to grow your writing and interview skills while being mentored by experienced Nugget staff.
As a Junior Editor, your main responsibilities include:
- Assisting other editors by transcribing interviews, reaching out to contacts and writing articles
- Write assigned articles, pitch ideas and meet deadlines
- Help create video content to engage students
- Attend weekly editor meetings and pitch meetings
- Assist with promotional activities like running booths and recruiting new contributors
- Working 6-7 hours each week
This might be the job for you if:
- You want to learn more about writing and editing. You’ve got a passion for storytelling and want to improve your craft.
- You like working in a team. The Junior Editor will be helping and collaborating with the editors primarily, so you should feel comfortable working with others and being assigned tasks.
- You’re a current NAIT student. The Junior Editor is a student part-time term position (January through April, 2024), so you need to be enrolled in classes to qualify. The salary for this position is $350 a month.
- You’re organized and reliable. You believe consistency is key, and you have no trouble juggling multiple tasks and deadlines. You can expect to write one article a week.
Why work at the Nugget?
- Comprehensive and ongoing training so you are ready to run your section
- Additional perks for working at NAITSA
- Get your foot in the door in the journalism and media industry
- Access to the Nugget office for studying, working and napping!
- Previous experience as a Nugget contributor is a strong asset
- Familiarity with CP style is appreciated, but not required
- Available for mandatory Editor Training January 3-5
If you’re looking for a way to be more involved on campus, develop your skills in journalism, media, and leadership, and meet new people, apply now!
You can apply by completing this online application and submitting a writing sample. Expect a confirmation email once we have received your application. While we appreciate all applications for employment, only those applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted further.
For more information on The Nugget, please visit our website at www.thenuggetonline.com, or follow our social media @thenaitnugget.
We look forward to seeing your application!