We’re Hiring a News Editor!
Do you have a passion for news, a knack for storytelling, and an eye for detail? We want YOU to run the news section at the NAIT Nugget, your campus media.
Join the Nugget team as the News Editor. You’ll get the chance to write news that can directly impact campus, meet the change-makers of the next generation, and inform students of things they need to know. The News Editor is the heart of the paper–your section is first in every issue, and you often get a chance to break news no one else knows about.
As a News Editor, your main responsibilities include:
- Editing news articles for content, clarity, grammar and Nugget style
- Meet with new contributors, provide resources, and assist in their writing process
- Talk to students and community members to find the issues that matter
- Investigate claims, interview people, and write well-crafted news articles
- Create video and social media content to engage students
- Attend and report on monthly senate meetings
- Work booths, recruit new contributors, do classroom visits and represent your section
- Gather pieces for your section each print issue
- Working 8-10 hours each week
This might be the job for you if:
- You love writing and editing. You know how to communicate, and you pride yourself on your storytelling skills. You don’t have to be perfect, but a basic understanding of grammar and journalistic writing will go a long way.
- You can think on your feet. There are a lot of moving parts to a media machine, so we need someone that can constantly adjust and be flexible. Most of the work in this role is independent, so you should be a master of keeping yourself on task.
- You’re a current NAIT student. The News Editor is a student part-time term position (January through April, 2024), so you need to be enrolled in classes to qualify. The salary for this position is $500 a month.
- You’re organized and reliable. You believe consistency is key, and you have no trouble juggling multiple tasks and deadlines. You can expect to edit 2-3 articles a week, on top of writing 1 article of your own.
Why work at the Nugget?
- Comprehensive and ongoing training so you are ready to run your section
- Additional perks for working at NAITSA
- Get your foot in the door in the journalism and media industry
- Access to the Nugget office for studying, working and napping!
- Previous experience as a Nugget contributor is a strong asset
- Excellent editing and writing skills are vital to this role
- Familiarity with CP style is appreciated, but not required
- Available for mandatory Editor Training January 3-5
If you’re looking for a way to be more involved on campus, develop your skills in journalism, media, and leadership, and meet new people, apply now!
You can apply by completing this online application and submitting a writing sample. Expect a confirmation email once we have received your application. While we appreciate all applications for employment, only those applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted further.
For more information on The Nugget, please visit our website at www.thenuggetonline.com, or follow our social media @thenaitnugget.
We look forward to seeing your application!