The NAIT Students’ Association is seeking a Peer Support Coordinator-In-Training for the 2020/2021 academic year. Peer Support is an anonymous and confidential supportive listening service for students.
The Coordinator-in-Training will become “the face” of Peer Support through promotion and leadership and provides direction and oversight for the day-to-day operations of Peer Support. The successful candidate will learn the ropes gradually over the fall term and cross-train with the outgoing Coordinator. A transition to full Coordinator responsibilities is estimated to be around January 2021.
The duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
– Schedule Peer Support hours based on Peer Supporters’ availability
– Provide peer leadership for Peer Supporters
– Administrative tasks for tracking Peer Supporters’ hours; submitting reports as required
– Tracking and ordering inventory for Peer Support room
– Maintain confidentiality and discretion regarding student issues
– Attend check-ins and meetings as required (1-2 per month)
– Schedule and submit regular feedback for Peer Supporter role play
– Think creatively about ways to promote the service on campus
– Attend training and workshops as required (some evening and weekends required)
– Analyze data for ongoing trends
– Fill in for Peer Supporter shifts if necessary
– Promote Peer Support on campus via event booths
– Coordinate with the Digital Communications Specialist regarding online wellness tips
– Provide and deliver content for online posts
– Other duties as required
Education & Experience
– Current NAIT student enrolled in the Fall 2020 & Winter 2021 terms
– Mental Health First Aid is an asset
– Supervisory and scheduling experience is an asset
– Excellent communication skills – written and verbal
– Ability to remain calm and professional while being empathetic and supportive
– Time management
– High attention to detail and organization skills
– Self-motivated – ability to work independently
– Being accountable for projects and deadlines
This position is a part-time contract position from September 2020 through April 2021. This part-time position requires approximately 10-15 hours per week, including client sessions as required and group meetings*. The hourly wage for this position is $18.00/hour.
*Client sessions and group meetings may consist of virtual and/or in-person delivery, as a result of provincial regulations to limit the spread of COVID-19 and campus closures. Specific work schedule TBD.
As a condition of employment for the Peer Support Coordinator-in-Training role, candidates must participate in mandatory training. Failure to attend any of the mandatory sessions will result in the candidate being ineligible for employment in this position.
Peer Support Virtual Training will take place over six evenings during the weeks of September 14 to 18 and September 21 to 25. The sessions will occur from 4:30 pm to 8:30 pm on the following dates:
Week 1: Monday, September 14, Tuesday, September 15 & Thursday, September 17
Week 2: Monday, September 21, Tuesday, September 22 & Thursday, September 24
Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate is found. If you are interested in this opportunity please apply by completing this online application and uploading PDF versions of your resume and cover letter addressed to Megan Brodeur, Service Hub Manager. Please answer all application questions to the best of your ability.
You can expect a confirmation email once we have received your application. While we appreciate all applications for employment, only those applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted further.
We look forward to seeing your application!
Closing Date: Apply by 4:00 pm on Friday, August 14, 2020.