Reporting to the Peer Support Coordinator, the responsibilities of this position include:
– Maintain confidentiality and discretion regarding student issues
– Remain unbiased and non-judgemental throughout Peer Support Session
– Anonymous record keeping and reporting, as necessary
– Keep the Peer Support room tidy and welcoming for all students
– Participate in regular role play feedback sessions
– Attend supervisor check-ins as required (1-2 per month)
– Attend training and workshops as required (some evenings and weekends required)
– Promote the Peer Support service at event booths around campus
NAITSA, as a non-profit organization, provides services, representation and leadership to students enrolled in credit and apprenticeship programs in one of Canada’s largest polytechnic institutions. Our NAITSA Service Hub helps make life as a student easier through our services and programs. The Service Hub proudly launched the first year of Peer Support in the fall of 2018, and we are now looking to grow our team in the upcoming academic year!
Qualifications / Required Skills / Considerations
If you’re interested in being a part of the Peer Support team, there are several key skills and attributes you should make sure you review below before you apply:
Current NAIT student enrolled in the Fall 2020 & Winter 2021 terms
– Excellent communication skills – written and verbal
– Ability to remain calm and professional while being empathetic and supportive
– Organizational skills
– Customer service-focused
– Demonstrated time management skills
Asset (not required):
– Mental Health First Aid
The Peer Supporter position is a part-time contract position from September 2020 through April 2021. This position requires approximately 3-5 hours per week for client sessions and group meetings*. The hourly wage for this position is $16.00/hour.
*Client sessions and group meetings may consist of virtual and/or in-person delivery, as a result of provincial regulations to limit the spread of COVID-19 and campus closures. Specific work schedule TBD.
As a condition of employment for the Peer Supporter role, candidates must participate in mandatory Peer Support training. Failure to attend any of the mandatory sessions will result in the candidate being ineligible for employment in this position.
Peer Support Virtual Training will take place over six evenings during September 14 to 18 and September 21 to 25. The sessions will occur from 4:30 pm to 8:30 pm on the following dates:
Week 1: Monday, September 14, Tuesday, September 15 & Thursday, September 17
Week 2: Monday, September 21, Tuesday, September 22 & Thursday, September 24
If you are interested in this opportunity please apply by completing this online application and uploading PDF versions of your resume and cover letter addressed to Megan Brodeur, Service Hub Manager. Please answer all application questions to the best of your ability.
You can expect a confirmation email once we have received your application. While we appreciate all applications for employment, only those applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted further.
We look forward to seeing your application!
Closing Date: Apply by 4:00 pm on Friday, August 14, 2020.