We’re Hiring Peer Supporters!
The NAIT Students’ Association is seeking Peer Supporters! Peer Support is an anonymous and confidential supportive listening service for students. A trained Peer Supporter listens unbiasedly to students’ problems, and can refer students to other campus or community resources if need be. If you have an empathetic ear and like helping others, maybe this position is right for you!
Reporting to the Peer Support Coordinator, this position’s responsibilities include:
Job Duties & Responsibilities
– Maintain confidentiality and discreetness regarding student issues
– Remain unbiased and non-judgmental throughout Peer Support Session
– Anonymous record keeping and reports as necessary
– Keep the Peer Support room tidy and welcoming
– Attend a mandatory counselling session on a regular basis
– Attend supervisor check ins as required (1 or 2 a month)
– Attend training and workshops as required (some evenings and weekends may be required)
– Promote the Peer Support service at event booths around campus
NAITSA, as a non-profit organization, provides services, representation and leadership to students enrolled in credit and apprenticeship programs in one of Canada’s largest polytechnic institutions. Our NAITSA Service Hub helps make life as a student easier through our services and programs. The Service Hub proudly launched the first year of Peer Support in the fall of 2018, and we are now looking to grow our team in the second year of the service.
Qualifications / Required Skills / Considerations
If you’re interested in being a part of this team, there are several key skills and attributes you should make sure you review below before you apply:
– Current NAIT student enrolled in the Fall 2019 and Winter 2020 terms
– Excellent communication skills – written and verbal
– Ability to remain calm and professional while being empathetic and supportive
– Organizational skills
– Excellent customer service
– Time management
Asset (not required):
– Mental Health First Aid
The Peer Supporter position is a part-time contract position from September 2019-April 2020. This position would require about 3-5 hours per week, including sessions and group meetings.
Mandatory training retreats will be held on the weekend of September 27 overnight, September 28 overnight, and September 29. The second weekend will be October 19/20 on campus. The first training weekend in September is held the same weekend as the NAITSA Clubs Retreat, and if there is a conflict and you are not able to attend the Peer Support training weekends, it would make you ineligible for the role of Peer Supporter.
This hourly role pays $16/hr.
This job listing was posted on March 7th and will be closed on April 5th or until suitable candidates are found. If you are interested in this opportunity please apply by completing this online application, and uploading PDF versions of your resume and cover letter addressed to Megan Brodeur, Service Hub Manager.
You can expect a confirmation email once we have received your application. While we appreciate all applications for employment, only those applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted further.
We look forward to seeing your application!