We’re Hiring Peer Supporters!
The NAIT Students’ Association is seeking Peer Supporters! Peer Support is an anonymous and confidential supportive listening service for students. A trained Peer Supporter listens without bias to students’ problems and can refer students to other campus or community resources as needed. If you have an empathetic ear and like helping others, maybe this position is right for you!
Reporting to the Peer Support Coordinator, the responsibilities of this position include:
- Maintain confidentiality and discretion regarding student issues
- Remain unbiased and non-judgemental throughout Peer Support Session
- Anonymous record keeping and reporting, as necessary
- Keep the Peer Support room tidy and welcoming for all students
- Participate in regular role play feedback sessions
- Attend supervisor check-ins as required (1-2 per month)
- Attend training and workshops as required (some evenings and weekends may be required)
- Promote the Peer Support service at event booths around campus
NAITSA, as a non-profit organization, provides services, representation and leadership to students enrolled in credit and apprenticeship programs in one of Canada’s largest polytechnic institutions. Our NAITSA Service Hub helps make life as a student easier through our services and programs. The Service Hub proudly launched the first year of Peer Support in the fall of 2018, and we are now looking to grow our team in the upcoming 2020-2021 academic year.
Qualifications / Required Skills / Considerations
If you’re interested in being a part of the Peer Support team, there are several key skills and attributes you should make sure you review below before you apply:
- Current NAIT student enrolled in the Fall 2020 & Winter 2021 terms
- Excellent communication skills – written and verbal
- Ability to remain calm and professional while being empathetic and supportive
- Organizational skills
- Customer service-focused
- Demonstrated time management skills
Asset (not required):
- Mental Health First Aid
The Peer Supporter position is a part-time contract position from September 2020 through April 2021. This position would require approximately 3-5 hours per week, including sessions and group meetings. The hourly wage for this position is $16.00/hour.
Mandatory training retreats will be held on the following weekends:
- September 18 – 20, 2020 (out of town, accommodations, food & transport provided); and
- Oct 3 – 4, 2020 (day training on NAIT Main Campus)
- Please note: Attendance at the mandatory training retreats is a condition of employment for the Peer Supporter position. Failure to attend will result in the applicant being ineligible for this position.
For more information about the NAIT Students’ Association please visit our website at www.naitsa.ca
Applications will be accepted until suitable candidates are found. If you are interested in this opportunity please apply by completing this online application and uploading PDF versions of your resume and cover letter addressed to Megan Brodeur, Service Hub Manager.
You can expect a confirmation email once we have received your application. While we appreciate all applications for employment, only those applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted further.
We look forward to seeing your application!