We’re Hiring Peer Supporters!
The NAIT Students’ Association is seeking Peer Supporters for the 2023-2024 academic year. Peer Support is an anonymous and confidential supportive listening service for students. This position begins in September 2023.
A trained Peer Supporter listens without bias to students’ problems and can refer students to other campus or community resources as needed.
- A good listener, empathetic, and like supporting others?
- Someone who considers themselves a great communicator?
- Able to remain calm and supportive in conversations?
- On campus regularly and/or within commuting distance?
- Organized and great at managing your time?
- A NAIT student enrolled in classes until at least April 2024?
Then look no further…the Peer Supporter position may be the right fit for you!
What does a Peer Supporter do?
Reporting to the Peer Support Coordinator, a Peer Supported can be expected to:
- Maintain confidentiality and discretion during Peer Support sessions
- Remain unbiased and non-judgemental throughout Peer Support Session, either in-person or through LiveChat
- Keep the Peer Support room tidy and welcoming for all students
- Participate in regular roleplay sessions to keep your Peer Support listening skills sharp
- Attend supervisor check-ins (1 or 2 per term)
- Assist the Peer Support Coordinator with event planning and brainstorming for the program
- Attend training and workshops as required (some evenings and weekends may be required)
- Promote the Peer Support service at event booths around campus
- Complete training and given assignments.
Must be a NAIT student enrolled in classes until at least April 2024 to be considered
Asset (not required):
Mental Health First Aid
The Peer Supporter position is a part-time contract position from September 2023 through April 2024. This position requires approximately 3-5 hours per week for client sessions and group meetings. The hourly wage for this position is $16 per hour. The work schedule is to be determined upon hire and is based on your availability/class schedule.
The Peer Support program offers services on campus and online via chat service. Client sessions, training, and group meetings may be done online and on main campus.
As a condition of employment for the Peer Supporter role, successful candidates must participate in mandatory Peer Support training. Failure to attend any of the mandatory sessions will result in the candidate being deemed ineligible for employment in this position. Peer Support Training will take place on-campus over two weekends in September (exact dates TBD).
How to Apply
If you are interested in this opportunity, follow these steps:
1. Complete the online application
2. Upload your resume and cover letter
You can expect a confirmation email once we have received your application. While we appreciate all applications for employment, only those applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted further.
Closing Date: This position was posted on Monday, March 20th and will remain open until suitable candidates are found. Interviews are expected to commence during the second week of April 2023.
NAITSA, as a non-profit organization, provides services, representation and leadership to students enrolled in credit and apprenticeship programs at NAIT. Our NAITSA Service Hub helps make life as a student easier through our services and programs. The Service Hub proudly launched the first year of Peer Support in the fall of 2018 and now offers Peer Support to students on main campus and online through a chat service.
For more information about the NAIT Students’ Association please visit our website at www.naitsa.ca. For general employment inquiries or to request accommodations at any point in the recruitment process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to seeing your application!