We’re Hiring Photo Editor!
Are you someone looking for a place to push past your comfort zone, create community and explore visual storytelling in the exciting world of new media? The NAIT Nugget may be the place for you.
We are looking for a Photo Editor who is passionate about photo journalism. In a newspaper it is as important to have engaging visuals as it is articles in order to entertain the audience.
If you are self-motivated, creative, reliable, and interested in having your photography published, please apply. The job can be challenging at times, but it is more than worth it!
Reporting to the Senior Editor, this position has the following overall responsibilities:
- Planning and executing the cover photo for each issue.
- Taking photos and/or getting other photographers to take pictures for each issue.
- Checking quality of photos.
NAITSA, is a non-profit organization, that provides services, representation and leadership to students enrolled in credit and apprenticeship programs in one of Canada’s largest polytechnic institutions.
The NAIT Nugget is a student ran newspaper that started in 1964, in order to deliver unique content that is not available from other media sources. Maybe you’re the person who can help us achieve that?
Qualifications / Required Skills / Considerations
If you’re interested in being a part of this team, there are several key skills and attributes you should make sure you review below before you apply:
- Applicants must be a current student enrolled at NAIT.
- Strong photography skills.
- Comfortable with leading & recruiting other photographers
- Self-motivated – Help us be better visually, we need someone passionate about photography that will help us make the paper more entertaining for readers.
- Creative – Try new things, we are open and willing to see how we can creatively engage our audience in meaningful ways.
- Reliable – Consistency is important, there are mandatory editor meetings in order to encourage communication and quality content.
- Organized – There are lots of moving pieces to a media machine, so we need individuals that have great time management skills.
- Knowledge and experience working in with cameras and creating different styles of photos.
- Personable – As the photo editor you will be interacting with a lot of people.
The Photo Editor is a part-time seasonal position (January through April 2020) and is an excellent opportunity for students to be formally involved in campus life and makes an excellent addition to a future resumé. The salary for this position is $500 per month.
For more information about The NAIT Nugget please visit our website at www.thenuggetonline.com
If you are interested in this opportunity please apply by completing this online application, and uploading PDF versions of your resume and cover letter addressed to, Nicole Murphy, Media Operations Manager. You can expect a confirmation email once we have received your application.
While we appreciate all applications for employment, only those applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted further.
We look forward to seeing your application!