ABOUT SHELTER MOVERSShelter Movers is a national, volunteer-powered charitable organization providing moving and storage services at no cost to individuals and families fleeing abuse. We collaborate with local businesses and community agencies to support people, primarily women and children, as they transition to a life free of violence.
Movers and Drivers are core to the organization by assisting on each move. In a group of 2-7 movers, volunteers will load/unload the client’s belongings into a vehicle and transport the client to the predetermined location. Vehicles are provided for the move, and movers who have a valid driver’s license are welcome to register as drivers.
This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to make a big impact in a small amount of time. Each move varies from 3-5 hours. With our flexible volunteering model, you can sign up to volunteer on moves as per your availability.
– Meet other movers at the arranged time and place
– Work under the direction of a volunteer Lead Mover and Move Coordinator, and maintain communication with the Lead Mover and all other movers during move
– Move client’s belongings in and out of vehicles, and transport client’s personal belongings to a predetermined location (client’s children may accompany some of the moves) – vehicles are provided
– Liaise with the volunteer team, private security, and/or law enforcement
– Continuously conduct risk assessments throughout a move
– Maintain client confidentiality and provide trauma-informed care to all clients
– Uphold Shelter Movers’ protocols and procedures
– Work with private security and law enforcement (led by Lead Mover) when necessary
Flexible scheduling. Time commitment is based on a per-move basis, with each move taking approximately 3-4 hours. Volunteers can work around their schedule and sign up for moves based on their availability.
A minimum of 1-2 moves a month, or 4-8 hours per month, is encouraged. This is an unpaid volunteer position.
As a mover, no drivers license is required. Movers who have a valid driver’s license are welcome to register as drivers. If you are interested in being a driver, you will be asked to provide a scanned copy of your driver’s license. Shelter Movers primarily operates through car-share vehicles and trucks.
Shelter Movers volunteers must be at least 18 years of age, complete an interview process, sign a confidentiality agreement, complete and pass a police reference check, and attend a Trauma-Informed Care Orientation session.
If you are interested in volunteering with us, please go to our website https://www.sheltermovers.com/volunteer/ and apply.