We are looking for a Sports Editor who is passionate about getting students excited about intercollegiate sports and engagement. The Nugget isn’t just a newspaper anymore. Print media as we know it is effectively dying, however as the next generation we have a chance to revitalize and redefine what future media looks like, both in print and online.
If you are knowledgeable, creative and interested in being an influencer of the student voice, please apply. The job can be challenging at times, but it is more than worth it!
Reporting to the Media Operations Manager, this position has the following overall responsibilities:
- Tracking Down Stories – Finding interesting stories to feature in the school newspaper and the online sports section.
- Supporting Contributors – Assigning contributors to articles and supporting them during the writing process.
- Engaging Ooks Fans – Responsible for crafting sports sections that build readership and engages the student body
- Copy Editing – All articles for the sports section making sure they are ready for publication.
NAITSA is a non-profit organization that provides services, representation, and leadership to students enrolled in credit and apprenticeship programs in one of Canada’s largest polytechnic institutions. The NAIT Nugget is a student-run newspaper that started in 1964, with a purpose to deliver unique content that is not available from other media sources. Maybe you’re the person who can help us achieve that next year?
Qualifications / Required Skills / Considerations
If you’re interested in being a part of this team, there are several key skills and attributes you should make sure you review below before you apply:
- Applicants must be a current student enrolled at NAIT.
- Strong command of the English language is a valuable asset.
- Familiarity using popular social media platforms is vital to this role.
- Personable – As a section editor you will be interacting with a lot of people.
- Creative – Thinking outside the box is vital to creating interesting media content.
- Organized – There are lots of moving pieces to a media machine, so we need individuals that have great time management skills.
- Reliable – Consistency is important, showing up to weekly meetings is a must for this role.
- Problem Solver – Media is always shifting, seeing solutions to the unexpected is key!
- Writing – Creativity and wordsmithing experience would be a huge asset.
The Sports Editor is a student part-time term position (August 2021 through December 2021 ) and is an excellent opportunity for students to be formally involved in campus life. It also makes an excellent addition to a future resumé. The salary for this position is $500.00 per month.
For more information about The NAIT Nugget please visit our website at www.thenuggetonline.com
If you are interested in this opportunity please apply by completing an online application, and uploading PDF versions of your resume and cover letter addressed to: Nicole Murphy, Media Operations Manager.
You can expect a confirmation email once we have received your application. While we appreciate all applications for employment, only those applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted further.
We look forward to seeing your application!