We’re Hiring a Sports Online Editor
Are you someone looking for a place to push past your comfort zone, create community and explore storytelling in the exciting world of new media? The NAIT Nugget may be the place for you.
We are looking for a Sports Online Editor who is passionate about getting students excited about intercollegiate sports and engagement. The Nugget isn’t just a newspaper anymore. Print media as we know it is effectively dying, however as the next generation, we have a chance to revitalize and redefine what future media looks like, both in print and online.
If you are knowledgeable, creative and interested in being an influencer of the student’s voice, please apply. The job can be challenging at times, but it is more than worth it!
Reporting to the Sports Editor, this position has the following overall responsibilities:
1. Sharing Up-To-Date Sports News – Follow the NAIT Ooks when they play, sharing live updates on social media at the games.
2. Engaging Ooks Fans – Create engaging content and encourage our readers to follow NAIT Ook news.
3. Help Find Interesting Stories – If you’re interviewing a player or coach and come across a story you think should be shared, that’s your story to follow!
4. Write and Share Stories – Build your writing skills and be published in print and online. Share the stories of NAIT and their varsity teams!
NAITSA is a non-profit organization that provides services, representation, and leadership to students enrolled in credit and apprenticeship programs in one of Canada’s largest polytechnic institutions.
The NAIT Nugget is a student-run newspaper that started in 1964, to deliver unique content that is not available from other media sources. Maybe you’re the person who can help us achieve that next year?
Qualifications / Required Skills / Considerations
If you’re interested in being a part of this team, there are several key skills and attributes you should make sure you review below before you apply:
– Applicants must be a current student enrolled at NAIT.
– Strong command of the English language is a valuable asset.
– Familiarity using popular social media platforms is vital to this role.
– Personable – As a journalist, you will be interacting with a lot of people.
– Creative – Thinking outside the box is vital to creating interesting media content.
– Organized – There are lots of moving pieces to a media machine, so we need individuals that have great time management skills.
– Reliable – Consistency is important, showing up to weekly meetings is a must for this role.
– Problem Solver – Media is always shifting, seeing solutions to the unexpected is key!
– Writing – Creativity and wordsmithing experience would be a huge asset.
The Sports Online Editor is a student part-time term position (September through December 2019) and is an excellent opportunity for students to be formally involved in campus life. It also makes an excellent addition to a future resumé. The salary for this position is $300.00 per month.
For more information about The NAIT Nugget please visit our website at www.thenuggetonline.com
If you are interested in this opportunity please apply by completing an online application, and uploading PDF versions of your resume and cover letter addressed to:
Nicole Murphy, Media Operations Manager.
You can expect a confirmation email once we have received your application. While we appreciate all applications for employment, only those applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted further.
We look forward to seeing your application!