Hunger should not be a barrier to your education.
The NAITSA Food Centre is here to help. We have a variety of resources including emergency food assistance and information for nutrition on a budget.
Who is eligible
Since beginning in 2014, The NAITSA Food Centre has experienced significant growth, but even more so in the last year. In order to keep this vital service available and sustainable, we must limit our approved hampers to only our NAITSA members (credit students who are charged the NAITSA fee in their tuition).
How it works
• Click on “Request a Hamper” button above and log in to OrgSync to fill out a hamper request.
• Each food hamper aims to provide 3-5 days’ worth of non-perishable food for emergency food security.
• You may apply twice per month, one during the first half and once during the second half.
• Please note that we require 1 business day to process your request.
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
- Canned Vegetables (e.g. Corn, Peas, Carrots, etc.)
- Canned Fruits (e.g. Peaches, Pineapple, Applesauce, etc)
- Powdered Milk
- Peanut Butter
- Rice Products (e.g. Uncle Ben’s Sidekicks)
- Additionally, NAITSA will gladly accept toiletries and hygiene products – razors, toothbrushes, travel size soaps/shampoos, etc.
Please Note: At this time, the Food Centre CANNOT accept perishable food items (produce, non powdered dairy,meat products). Click here to download a list of needed items.
Suggested Donations: Additional Information
- Pop top cans are preferable to cans requiring a can opener, if possible
- Donations of items such as Chef Boyardee, etc. are wonderful, but they also are only useful for a single meal – items such as those on the above list, however, can be stretched out over meals if need be.
- Although we appreciate all donations, we would ask that donors pay attention to product expiration dates before donating to the NAITSA Food Centre.
Information on Best Before Dates
Keeping all that in mind, we here at the NAITSA Food Centre do encourage donors to pay attention to ‘Best Before’ dates on items donated, as we can make better use out of items well within their dates.
More information on the topic can be found at the following links:
Edmonton Food Bank
Those in need can either call 780-425-4190, or receive a referral from NAITSA (contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information in this regard).
The Edmonton Food Bank staff will provide you with a location closer to your home. You will need a valid photo ID and bags to carry the food when picking it up.
Wecan Food Society
For more information, please visit WECAN FOOD SOCIETY website.
Let’s hear from you!
Submit a testimonial about your Food Centre experience here.