The U-Pass is a mandatory fee for all students enrolled in a single credit course at NAIT.
Students that are NOT eligible for U-Pass:
– Students who take all of their classes 100% online (Note: this means there is no on-campus component, including exams and presentations)
– Non-credit students (ex:ESL)
– Students whose courses begin after the opt-out deadline.
– Fall 2019: September 27, 2019
– Winter 2020: January 31, 2020
All qualified students are automatically charged a U-Pass fee for the Fall & Winter terms.
If you are not charged for a U-Pass (e.g. are an apprentice or in a non-credit program) but would still like access to public transit while attending NAIT, your best bet would be to look into getting a monthly bus pass from Shop at NAIT (the NAIT Bookstore) for 10% off.
The U-Pass is a sticker placed on your valid One Card at the beginning of each term (for up to date information on the One Card, please visit www.nait.ca/one).
Once you have a valid One Card, the U-Pass can be obtained from various locations, please see Fall U-Pass schedule below.
U-Pass Winter Distribution Dates
December 9-13, 2019
Mon-Thurs 8:00am – 6:00pm
Fri 8:00am – 4:00pm
Mon-Thurs 8:30am – 5:00pm
Fri 8:30am – 3:00pm
December 16-17, 2019
Mon-Tue 8:00am – 5:00pm
December 18, 2019
NAITSA Office (O-108)
Winter U-pass can be picked up until noon
Thurs 8:00am – 5:00pm
Fri 8:00am – 4:00pm
Fri 8:00am – 3:00pm
January 6-8, 2020
Mon-Wed 8:00 am-6:00pm
January 9-10, 2020
Thurs 8:00 am-6:00pm
Fri 8:00am -4:00 pm
January 13-17, 2020
Mon-Thurs 8:00 am-6:00pm
Fri 8:00 am-4:00 pm
January 20th, 2020 onwards available at the NAITSA in the room (O-108)
– U-Passes can only be given to the owner of the ID card in question. Under no circumstances can we issue a U-Pass to a student on another student’s behalf.
– If you are a sponsored student and you pick up your U-Pass and then drop your courses, you will still need to pay the U-Pass fee.
– Your U-Pass is non- transferable and not for re-sale!
– When using the transit system (bus or LRT), ensure your One Card is with you to show transit authorities upon request.
– U-Pass is NOT offered during the Spring and Summer semesters.
How much does the U-Pass cost?
For the 2018-19 school year, the U-Pass will cost $175.00 for the Fall term and $175.00 for the Winter term. The U-Pass offers significant savings for students who take transit, as the cost of a post secondary bus pass for 2018-19 would total $349.20 per term. The U-Pass fee is charged alongside your tuition, so you pay for it when you pay your NAIT account balance.
U-Pass is NOT offered during the SPRING or SUMMER semesters.
What if my sticker is damaged or begins to fall off during the term?
What if I lose my NAIT One Card with my U-Pass?
1) To replace your One Card, you must pay a $25 replacement fee at the One at NAIT office (South Lobby O112) and the staff there will print you a new card. For the most up-to-date information on the One Card, please visit www.nait.ca/one.
2) Bring your new One Card to NAITSA Room O-108.
3)The U-Pass replacement fee is pro-rated for each month.
October : $131.25
November: $ 87.50
Please Note: It is a chargeable offence to sell or give your U-Pass sticker away.
Will I still be able to claim the Federal Tax Credit?
Federal tax deduction for transit is only allowed up to June 30, 2017 and has been permanently ceased by the government after that date.
Is U-Pass mandatory?
U-Pass applies to everyone taking even a single credit course at NAIT, regardless of whether they are part-time or full-time.
For students who are affected, the U-Pass is a mandatory fee even if the student drives or lives outside of the service area.
Apprenticeship students, students who take all of their classes 100% online (meaning they will never need to come to campus for any reason, such as an exam), and students whose courses do not begin until after the first month of classes are exempt from the program and will not be charged the U-Pass fee.
What if I reside outside the service area?
If I withdraw from NAIT, do I still have to pay for U-Pass?
I thought I was Continuing Education. Why am I paying for U-Pass?
How was the U-Pass decision made?
Transit Service and LRT
Transit service levels to NAIT continue to be a concern, especially at the Souch and Patricia campuses. NAITSA will continue to press the City of Edmonton for greater transit funding and better service to NAIT campuses.
The U-Pass provides you unlimited access to regular service in the following cities:
Edmonton (including the LRT):