REMINDER: There is NO Spring/Summer U-Pass!
What is the U-Pass?
The U-Pass provides you unlimited access to regular service in the following cities:
Edmonton (including the LRT):
The U-Pass is a mandatory fee for all students enrolled in a credit course at NAIT that starts before September 28, 2018 in the Fall term and January 25, 2019 in the Winter term with the following exceptions:
- Students who take all of their classes 100% online (Note: this means there is no on-campus component, including exams and presentations)
All qualified students are automatically charged a U-Pass fee for the Fall & Winter terms.
U-Pass is NOT offered during the SPRING or SUMMER semesters.
How do students use the U-Pass?
Once the U-Pass fee is paid in full, users are issued a sticker by the Students’ Association (NAITSA) that is placed on their student One Card. When using the transit system (bus or LRT), ensure your One Card is with you to show transit authorities upon request.
When is the U-Pass valid?
The U-Pass program runs during the Fall and Winter semesters. Currently there is no spring or summer U-Pass program at NAIT. The Fall 2018 sticker is valid from September 1st through December 31st, and the Winter 2019 sticker is valid from January 1st through April 30th.
How much does the U-Pass cost?
For the 2018-19 school year, the U-Pass will cost $170.00 for the Fall term and $170.00 for the Winter term. The U-Pass offers significant savings for students who take transit, as the cost of a post secondary bus pass for 2018-19 would total $324.00 per term. The U-Pass fee is charged alongside your tuition, so you pay for it when you pay your NAIT account balance.
U-Pass is NOT offered during the SPRING or SUMMER semesters.
How do I get my U-Pass?
The U-Pass is a sticker placed on your valid One Card at the beginning of each term (for up to date information on the One Card, please visit www.nait.ca/idcard).
Once you have a valid One Card, the U-Pass can be obtained at the South Lobby Kiosk at the start of each term and at the NAITSA office (E-131) thereafter.
- U-Passes can only be given to the owner of the ID card in question. Under no circumstances can we issue a U-Pass to a student on another student’s behalf.
- If you are a sponsored student and you pick up your U-Pass and then drop your courses, you will still need to pay the U-Pass fee.
What if my sticker is damaged or begins to fall off during the term?
Come to the NAITSA office immediately and we can replace it for you. It’s very important to keep all traces of your U-Pass sticker since we have to show ETS the damaged product. Any sticker that has passed its expiry date can be removed and discarded.
What if I lose my NAIT ID card with my U-Pass?
1) To replace your One Card, you must pay a $25 replacement fee at the library (U310) and the staff there will print you a new card. For the most up-to-date information on the One Card, please visit www.nait.ca/idcard.
2) Bring your new One Card to NAITSA Room E-131
3)The U-Pass replacement fee may be pro-rated for each month. Please check back at a later date for prices regarding pro-rating
Please Note: It is a chargeable offence to sell or give your U-Pass sticker away.
Will I still be able to claim the Federal Tax Credit?
Federal tax deduction for transit is only allowed up to June 30, 2017 and has been permanently ceased by the government after that date.
Is U-Pass mandatory?
U-Pass applies to everyone taking even a single credit course at NAIT, regardless of whether they are part-time or full-time.
For students who are affected, the U-Pass is a mandatory fee even if the student drives or lives outside of the service area.
Apprenticeship students, students who take all of their classes 100% online (meaning they will never need to come to campus for any reason, such as an exam), and students whose courses do not begin until after the first month of classes are exempt from the program and will not be charged the U-Pass fee.
Which students may request a fee exemption from U-Pass?
- Students with a valid staff card from Edmonton Transit, Strathcona County Transit or St. Albert Transit
DATS / SCAT / HANDIBUS
- Students who have a valid DATS/SCAT or St. Albert Handibus registration card. However, ETS will accept the U-Pass on DATS, therefore you may wish to keep the pass in that case.
- Students who are double enrolled at NAIT and another U-Pass partner school (Univeristy of Alberta, MacEwan University, and NorQuest College)
- Please Note: To request exemption as a double enrolled student you must present a receipt to show you purchased a U-Pass through one of the other schools.
Bring your valid NAIT student ID card and valid identification card from one of the above stakeholders to the NAITSA Service Hub in the NAITSA office (E-131) before the deadline. This procedure must be repeated each semester.
- Students must be enrolled in a credit class that starts before the deadline for that term
- Fall term deadline – Friday, September 28, 2018 at 4:00PM
Students on practicum 8 weeks or longer between Sept 1, 2018 to Dec 31, 2018 for the Fall term, January 1, 2019 – April 30, 2019 for the Winter term AND are placed outside the service area of the city of Edmonton, Strathcona County, St.Albert, Leduc, Spruce Grove, and Fort Saskatchewan may be eligible for an exemption to their U-Pass fee.
NAITSA will begin processing opt-out requests on July 9th, 2017.
- Students must submit their application online for the Winter term before Friday, January 25, 2019 at 4pm.
- Each Fall and Winter term is treated as separate and a separate application must be submitted for each term of eligibility, from year to year.
- Eligibility is assessed to correspond with the dates that appear on the U-Pass sticker
- Please visit http://naitsa.ca/upass-exemption-application/ for more information.
What if I reside outside the service area?
Unfortunately, even if you reside outside of the U-Pass service area, the U-Pass is still a mandatory fee if you are taking credit courses at NAIT. NAITSA is constantly working to improve the service are and make sure that all students can benefit from the U-Pass, regardless of where they live.
If I withdraw from NAIT, do I still have to pay for U-Pass?
U-Pass is a non-refundable fee except for students who withdraw from NAIT before the exemption deadline (see “May any other students request an exemption to the U-Pass fee?” and have not picked up their U-Pass sticker. Once the sticker is picked up the fee is not refundable even if the student withdraws. If you are a sponsored student and you pick up your U-Pass and then drop your courses, you will still need to pay the U-Pass fee.
I thought I was Continuing Education. Why am I paying for U-Pass?
As of September 2013, NAIT has eliminated the Continuing Education classification of credit students. Those students are now classified as regular program students, and pay the same fees as all other credit students.
I wasn’t charged for a U-Pass. May I purchase one anyway?
Unfortunately, our contract with the transit providers states that we are not allowed to sell a U-Pass to students who are already eligible one. If you are not charged for a U-Pass (e.g. are an apprentice or in a non-credit program) but would still like access to public transit while attending NAIT, your best bet would be to look into getting a monthly pass from Shop at NAIT for 10% off.
How was the U-Pass decision made?
In February 2017 NAIT students passed a referendum to continue U-Pass at NAIT and extend it to all credit students. NAITSA’s bylaws require that a fee such as U-Pass be approved in a referendum, and that it must pass by a 2/3 majority of students who vote. 2,765 students voted with 86.5% majority voting YES to keep U-PASS. Those students who were full members of NAITSA were eligible to vote.
Transit Service and LRT
Transit service levels to NAIT continue to be a concern, especially at the Souch and Patricia campuses. NAITSA will continue to press the City of Edmonton for greater transit funding and better service to NAIT campuses.