Hunger should not be a barrier to your education.
The NAITSA Food Centre is here to help. We have a variety of resources including emergency food assistance and information for nutrition on a budget.
Note on August 24, 2016: As the beginning of the school year approaches, we at the NAITSA Service Hub become very busy. We will do our best to adhere to our 24-turnaround policy for creating and distributing NAITSA Food Centre hampers, however there may be occasions where we are a bit later than expected. We greatly appreciate your understanding in this matter.
Food For Thought
High Need Products
- Canned Vegetables (e.g. Corn, Peas, Carrots, etc.)
- Canned Fruits (e.g. Peaches, Pineapple, Applesauce, etc)
- Powdered Milk
- Peanut Butter
- Rice Products (e.g. Uncle Ben’s Sidekicks)
- Additionally, NAITSA will gladly accept toiletries and hygiene products – razors, toothbrushes, travel size soaps/shampoos, etc.
- Pop top cans are preferable to cans requiring a can opener, if possible
- Donations of items such as Chef Boyardee, etc. are wonderful, but they also are only useful for a single meal – items such as those on the above list, however, can be stretched out over meals if need be.
- Although we appreciate all donations, we would ask that donors pay attention to product expiration dates before donating to the NAITSA Food Centre.
Many consumers have concerns around expiry/best before dates on their food products. For the non-perishable items we collect, these dates are no indication of food safety –as long as they are unopened, the products are still perfectly safe to consume without any health risks. ‘Best Before’ dates on non-perishable products are used to indicate optimum freshness – after the indicated date the food may lose some of its freshness and nutritional value, and may have a slightly different texture. However, it will still be safe to consume.
Keeping all that in mind, we here at the NAITSA Food Centre do encourage donors to pay attention to ‘Best Before’ dates on items donated, as we can make better use out of items well within their dates.
More information on the topic can be found at the following links:
Those in need can either call 780-425-4190, or receive a referral from NAITSA (contact email@example.com for more information in this regard).
The Edmonton Food Bank staff will provide you with a location closer to your home. You will need a valid photo ID and bags to carry the food when picking it up.
211’s Year Round Meals List
For more information: